Sunday, April 17, 2016

An Artist Statement


Foundation Stock
Acrylic, Charcoal, and Graphite on Yupo
17.5" x 23"
875.00


I am constantly evaluating my art and studio practice. Trying new media and experimenting with different applications. Working to improve my skill set. Playing with different ideas and approaching the same problem, question from different angles.

As a result of this my artist statement changes. The changes are subtle as I move closer to my own truth.

This is the latest.

I paint horses.

I paint them because I love them, and this love has led me to spend thousands of hours with them, learning about them, and coming to an understanding of them.
There is a moment when I sense an ineffable something that dissolves all the boundaries of my prescribed being, and I am filled with a joy that verges on heartbreak— a feeling so overwhelming that it takes my breath and all my words away, and I am only left with marks and color.
It is in these moments that I feel the most authentic, and want to share what I have felt.This is what I paint. This is what I have to share.


No comments: